In 1936, Jean Painlevé launched a line of fashion accessories. His partner, Geneviève Hamon, helped with the design of some of the jewelry and printed fabrics that were conceived in Painlevé’s Montparnasse studio and executed by Clement Nauny in the 'L'Hippocampe' headquarters rue de Braque in Paris. Clément Nauny was known for his design of lamps and furniture marketed under the name 'Desny' from 1927 to 1933 when his business was declared bankrupt. The jewelry was sold under the label jHp® (for 'Jean Hippocampe Painlevé'). Jean Painlevé opened several “L’Hippocampe” boutiques in Paris, one on the Champs Elysées (with the jewelry displayed alongside aquariums filled with live seahorses), and one near the Opera at the ‘Printemps’ department store, with outlets in all the major cities in France. Promotional photographs were shot by Philippe Halsman, a close friend of Painlevé.
Header Image Credit: Promotional postcard for the jHp® Jewellery (detail) , 1936. Photo: Philippe Halsman. © Copyright Halsman Archive and Archives Jean Painlevé